Joining the armed forces has always been a dream come true for the majority of youths. Besides, the opportunity to serve the nation, candidates are offered an attractive pay scale and allowances. The pay benefits to the candidates selected through NDA begins during the training period. Stipend given to Gentlemen Cadets during the entire duration of training in Service Academies i.e. during the training period at IMA is Rs 56,100. On successful commissioning in NDA, the pay in the pay matrix of the Officer commissioned will be fixed in the first Cell of Level 10. The period of training will not be treated as commissioned service and arrears on account of admissible allowances (as applicable) for the training period will be paid to cadets. Read below for more details on NDA salary.\
The rank-wise salary of cadets are given below:
|Ranks||NDA Salary (In Rs)|
|Lt to Maj||Lt: Level 10 (56,100-1,77,500)|
Capt: Level10 B (61,300-1,93,900)
Maj: Level 11 (69,400-2,07,200)
|Lt Col to Maj Gen||Lt Col: Level 12A (1,21,200 2,12,400)|
Col: Level 13 (1,30,600-2,15,900)
Brig: Level 13A (1,39,600-2,17,600)
Maj Gen – Level 14 (1,44,200-2,18,200)
|Lt Gen to HAG Scale||Level 15 (1, 82, 200-2,24,100)|
|HAG+Scale||Level 16 (2,05,400 – 2,24,400)|
|VCOAS/ArmyCdr/Lt Gen (NFSG)||Level 17 (2,25,000) (fixed)|
|COAS||Level 18 (2,50,000) (fixed)|
Military Service Pay given to the officer is given below:
|Military Service Pay(MSP) to the officers from the rank of Lt to Brig|
|Rs 15,500 pm (fixed)|
The allowances given to the cadets are given below:
|Dearness Allowance||Admissible at the same rates and under the same conditions as are applicable to the civilian personnel from time to time.|
|Kit maintenance allies||Subsumed into the newly|
proposed Dress Allowance of
Rs 20,000 per year
Depending upon rank and area of posting, an officer posted to Field Areas will be eligible for the following Field Area allies.
|Rank||Level||HAFA||Fd Area Alice||Mod Fd Area Alice|
|Lt & above||Level 10|
|16, 900 (R1H2)||10, 500|
High Altitude Allowance
|Rank||Level||CAT I (PM)||CAT II (PM)||CAT III (PM)|
|Lt & above||Level 10|
Siachen Allowance: Rs 42,500 per month
- Continue in Fd Area to all Defence Officers.
- Defence officers posted in peace area to get Ration Money Allce (RMA) every month.
Transport Allce (TPTA):
|Pay Level||Higher TPTA Cities (Rs per month)||Other Places (Rs Per month)|
|9 and above||Rs 7, 200 + DA thereon||Rs 3,600 + DA thereon|
The Army Aviators (Pilots) in Lt and above for Level 10 and above serving in the Army Aviation Corps are entitled to flying allowance of Rs 25,000 (R1H1 of Risk and Hardship Matrix).
- Higher Tpt Cities (UA) are Hyderabad, Patna, Delhi, Ahmadabad, Surat, Bengaluru, Kochi, Kozhikode, Indore, Greater Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, Jaipur, Chennai, Coimbatore, Ghaziabad, Kanpur, Lucknow, Kolkata.
- The allowance will not be admissible to those service personnel who have been provided with the facility of Government transport.
- Officers in Pay Level 14 and above, who are entitled to use the official car, will have the option to avail official car facility or to draw the TPTA at the rate of Rs 15,750+DA thereon.
- The allowance will not be admissible for the calendar months wholly covered by leave.
- The physically disabled service personnel will continue to be paid at double rate, subject to a minimum of Rs 2,250 + DA
Children Education Allowance: Rs 2, 250 per month will be given for per child for two eldest surviving only. This allowance is admissible from Nursery to Class 12.
In the case of allowances specific to Defence Forces, the rates of these allowances will be enhanced by 25% automatically each time. The Dearness Allowance payable on the revised pay band goes up by 50%.
Benefits in case of mishappenings
In case of disability:
- Monthly Ex-gratia amount of Rs 9,000 per month.
- Ex-gratia disability award of Rs 16,200 per month
- Constant Attendant Allowance (CCA of Rs 6, 750 per month for 100% disabled on the recommendation of Invaliding Medical Board (IBM).
In case of death:
- Ex-gratia amount of Rs 12.5 lakhs to the NOK.
- The Ex-gratia amount of Rs 9,000 per month to the NOK.
- The Ex-gratia awards to Cadets (Direct)/NOK, will be sanctioned purely on Ex-gratia basis and the same should not be treated as pension for any purpose.
Details of Insurance Policies
- Army Group Insurance Fund is a compulsory contributory group scheme, which provides insurance cover for Rs 15 Lakh on payment of one time non-refundable premium of Rs 6,400 for 3 years paid from the date of joining NDA till completion of training.
- In the case of relegation, an additional premium of Rs 1,160 per relegated term will be paid immediately on occurrence.
- For those who are invalided out from NDA by IMB on account of disability and not entitled to any pension will be provided Rs 7.5 lakhs for 100 per cent disability.
- This will be reduced to Rs 1.5 lakhs for 20 % disability.
- For less than 20 % disability, only an Ex-Gratia Grant of Rs 50,000 for the initial year of training and Rs 1 lakh during the last year of training will be paid.
- At IMA, at the time of stipend, the Gentlemen cadets are provided insurance cover of Rs 75 lakh with a monthly contribution of Rs 5,000 (with effect from October 1, 2016, as per maint AGI scheme as the application to regular officers).
- Those who are invalidated out from IMA by IMB on account of disability and not entitled to any pension will be provided Rs 25 Lakhs for 100 % disability.
- This will be reduced to Rs 5 lakhs for 20 % disability.
- For less than 20% disability, only an Ex-Gratia amount of Rs 50,000 for the initial year of training and Rs 1 lakh during the last year of training will be paid.
Promotional Avenues of candidates
Candidates can check below the promotions given to Army, Navy and Air Force based on their performance and years of service.
|Army||Navy||Air Force||Selection criteria|
|Lieutenant||Sub Lieutenant||Flying Officer||On being Commissioned|
|Captain||Lieutenant||Flight Lieutenant||After 2 years of service|
|Major||Lt Commander||Squadron Leader||After 6 years of service|
|Lieutenant Colonel||Commander||Wing Commander||13 years of service|
|Colonel(Selection)||Captain (Selection)||Group Captain (Selection)||On Selection|
|Colonel (Time Scale)||Captain (Time Scale)||Group Captain (Time Scale)||26 years of service|
|Brigadier||Commodore||Air Commodore||On Selection|
|Major General||Rear Admiral||Air Vice-Marshal||On Selection|
|Lieutenant General||Vice Admiral||Air Marshal||On Selection|
|General||Admiral||Air Chief Marshal||On Selection|
NDA Salary: Retirement benefits
Pension, gratuity and casualty pensionary award will be given in accordance with the rules in force from time to time.
Leave will be admissible in accordance with the rules in force from time to time.